Social studies allows us a deep dive into the intricate workings of society, combining elements like world history, geography, government, economics, and civics.
For third graders, a structured social studies curriculum can transform abstract concepts into relatable lessons.
Discover! Social Studies Curriculum for 3rd Grade is a well rounded social studies curriculum that blends digital resources with traditional workbooks to create an immersive learning experience.
I did receive a complementary copy of Discover! Curriculum 3rd Grade Social Studies to facilitate this review. As always, all opinions are my own.
Table of Contents
What Sets Discover! 3rd Grade Social Studies Apart
Discover! is not merely another basic homeschool social studies curriculum. Through its partnership with the Bridgeway Academy platform, it offers students an avenue for autonomous exploration.
With a dedicated parental dashboard, parents can seamlessly track their child’s advancement.
I like the fact that by default the Discover! 3rd Grade Social Studies curriculum is a secular social studies curriculum– yet it provides an option to integrate a religious perspective if desired. You’ll find a switch on the parent dashboard if you prefer to add a religious component…but this toggle is automatically switched to the off position.
3rd Grade Social Studies Topics
When I first came across the Discover! 3rd Grade Social Studies curriculum, I was genuinely surprised by its depth and breadth.
It’s not just another standard social studies package; it’s a comprehensive journey that delves much deeper into the world of social sciences than I ever thought possible for a third-grade level.
By the end of the academic year, here’s everything my 3rd will know, understand, and truly comprehend:
The Five Themes of Social Studies
Social Studies isn’t just learning about places and names. Social Studies is a more holistic approach to the world around us and understanding geography, civics, government, world history, and economics.
It’s imperative for young minds to understand their role in society. Through Discover! 3rd Grade Social Studies, students will be equipped to articulate the crucial roles that both citizens and governments play in shaping a nation.
Understanding the Various Forms of Government
It’s not just about democracy. Discover! delves into different governance structures from around the world, drawing comparisons and contrasts to better understand the underlying principles and mechanisms of each.
Learning the Complexities of International Relations
Beyond borders, the world is a web of relationships, some amicable and others contentious. Discover! Social Studies curriculum takes students on an exploration of various international relationships, gaining insights into the reasons behind conflicts and collaborations.
A Multifaceted View of History
History is never one-sided.
Students are taught to view historical events through various cultural lenses, allowing them to compare, contrast, and understand different perspectives that have shaped our past.
Decoding Economic Systems
At the heart of every society lies its economy.
Discover! 3rd Grade Social Studies teaches the foundational components of economic systems, so students understand how resources are allocated, how markets function, and how economies shape nations.
If you’re looking for a rigorous social studies program that will cover everything your 3rd grader needs, then I highly recommend Discover! 3rd Grade Social Studies.
3rd Grade Social Studies FAQs
How much time daily should be dedicated to social studies?
This can vary, but typically, 20-30 minutes daily for focused social studies lessons is adequate for third grade.
What is the primary focus of 3rd grade social studies?
The 3rd grade curriculum often focuses on communities, local and global connections, geography, history at a basic level, and an introduction to civic understanding.
How does the 3rd grade curriculum differ from 2nd grade?
While 2nd grade might concentrate on the student’s immediate community and local history, 3rd grade typically broadens the scope to include larger geographical areas and more complex social concepts.
Does the Discover! Curriculum align with national educational standards?
Yes, the curriculum aligns with most national standards and is designed to provide comprehensive coverage of key 3rd grade concepts.
How is Discover! different from other 3rd grade social studies curricula?
Discover! integrates multimedia resources, interactive activities, and project-based learning to ensure a hands-on and immersive experience for students.
Key Components of the Discover! 3rd Grade Social Studies Curriculum
I was impressed to find that the online learning portal walks students step by step through what needs to be completed for the day. Each lesson is broken down into 7 steps that are completed over a 2-day period:
- Get Ready- Digital Component
- Get Ready tells the student EXACTLY what they are expected to learn in the lesson.
- This is a game-changer for my ADHD child who gets easily distracted and loses track of what he’s supposed to be doing.
- Get Ready also introduces vocabulary terms that will be used throughout the lesson. I love that it’s interactive and my kids don’t realize they’re learning vocabulary terms…they’re simply playing the game.
- Read and Do- Workbook Component
- Once students are done with the “Get Ready” section, the online learning platform directs them offline to the workbook and gives the exact pages and texts to read. It also tells them any activities or projects they need to complete for this step.
- As a homeschool mom to multiple kids, this is AMAZING! My daughter is constantly asking “What do I do now?” and even though she knows what to do she’ll waste 20 minutes wandering around because “she forgot what’s next”…especially if I’m busy helping her brother on another task. This program takes that unknown out of the equation. It literally walks kids step by step through the lesson….both online and offline.
- Interactive Practice- Digital Component
- Back to the fun and games online! The “Interactive Practice” gets kids playing games or solving puzzles with the information they have learned so far in the lesson.
- There’s also cute little characters that guide students along the way and help them complete all of the activities.
- Continuing the Journey- Digital Component
- Now that students have learned new concepts and have solidified their understanding through readings and games…this is where they get to put that new knowledge into practice.
- Whether it’s sorting concepts into columns, or answering multiple choice questions…this is where students put their new found knowledge to the test.
- Extend Your Learning – Digital Component
- My favorite part of any curriculum is the rabbit trails! This section is all about discovering more about the topics in the lesson.
- Students are lead to external resources where they can watch videos, create crafts, find more readings, etc.
- Students can go as deep as they want or just pick an item or two to help them understand a certain concept better.
- This is also where the Instructor Guide comes in handy by utilizing some of the extension activities or learning style activities shared there.
- Show What You Know – Digital or Workbook Component
- The final part of each lesson consists of almost a mini-review of the lesson. This is where students answer questions about what they just learned. Either online with a grade given right away…anything below a 70 will require that they review and retake the assessment.
- I love that they made this part available as an online or offline component. For my kids, learning disabilities make multiple choice and matching tests a bit difficult. So I can take over this section and instead of doing questions, we can have a conversation about what they learned.
- Worktext- Workbook Component
- Honestly, after going through all of the other sections, I don’t think this component is necessary. BUT, if your learner is still struggling with the concepts in the lesson then the final step/component is to return to the workbook and complete the lesson in there.
Discover! Curriculum Coupon Code
The team at Discover! Curriculum has graciously provided a discount code for any of their curriculums. Simply visit the Discover! website and use code Discover2blog15.